How do I fix a timeout error "Error 2: the operation timed out (12002)" when I am syncing?
There are two typical reasons for this error.
You have incorrectly specified the URL and SpringConnect is unable to connect to that server. The URL is in the error message - if that is not correct, click on Settings and change it, then try again. If you have large lists of data in QuickBooks, it might take longer than the default of 30 seconds to perform the sync.
There are two things you can do (and you can do either or both):
Increase the timeout value for SpringConnect:
- Locate and open the SpringConnect.ini with Notepad
- Windows XP: C:\Program Files\SpringConnect.ini
- Windows Vista: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\SpringConnect\SpringConnect.ini (where USERNAME is your Vista login name)
- Under the "[Settings]" line, add a new line and type in "HTTPTimeout=1". This sets the timeout to 1 minute
- Save the settings file, restart SpringConnect, and try again
- If it still times out, repeat these instructions and try a higher value
If you have large lists but typically only sync small amount of changes, you can tell SpringConnect to send only what's changed and not everything every time.
Note: This is not advisable if you have multiple installations of SpringConnect (more than one person syncing at your company).
- In SpringConnect, click on Options, then Settings
- Click on the Advanced button
- Check Sync Changed Data Only
- Click OK twice
How do I fix the error 8004041C when syncing? (Access log file)
- Run SpringConnect
- Open the system menu by clicking on the SpringAhead logo on the upper left
- Select View Log
- Two log files will open. Select QBSDKLOG.txt
- Scroll to the bottom of the log file
- You will find an error message in between Started Connection and Ended Connection. It should indicate where the problem lies
- Please file a suppor ticket and send us the log file for assistance
Note: For Windows 7, this may be fixed by disabling UAC (User Account Controls) and rebooting the computer. Or by running reboot.bat in the QuickBooks installation directory.
Home › Troubleshooting › How do I fix the error 8004040...
How do I fix the error 80040400 ("error parsing XML") when syncing?
This is a QuickBooks internal error. To assist us in figuring out what the issue is, we will need two files from your computer: one that QuickBooks creates, and one that SpringConnect creates. This requires advanced knowledge of using Windows, so if you need assistance, please contact our customer support team.
STEP 1: Enable "Verbose" logging for more information:
For QuickBooks Online Edition, do the following:
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intuit\QBOEQBXMLRP
Change the string value "LogLevel" from "info" to "verbose"
For QuickBooks Desktop
Enable QuickBooks Desktop SDK verbose logging by editing the c:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks\qbsdk.ini file
Note: Editing your INI file is for advanced users only. Some of these directories are hidden, so they may not appear when browsing directly. Either type the directory in the Address bar, or enable hidden folders (Tools, Folder Options, View tab, "Show hidden files and folders") to get to them.
Enable "Verbose" logging for more information:
Related Guide from QuickBooks: https://help.developer.intuit.com/s/article/QBD-QBSDK-Logging
Go to c:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks and edit the qbsdk.ini file.
If you can't find the file, or directory do a Start - Run - "c:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks" <enter> and then edit qbsdk.ini. If qbsdk.ini is not there, just create it. Make sure that the file is not a text file, but a config file otherwise QuickBooks will not pick up the file.
Add or modify the following lines:
STEP 2: Enable SpringConnect Debug Logging (optional for Quickbooks Desktop)
Enable debug logging in SpringConnect's settings file "Springconnect.ini:"
Open SpringConnect.ini in Notepad. This will be in a different location depending on your Windows version:
Windows XP: C:\Program Files\SpringConnect\SpringConnect.ini (the directory you installed SpringConnect into)
Windows Vista: C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\SpringConnect\SpringConnect.ini (where USERNAME is your Windows login name)
In the "[Settings]" section, add the following lines:
Step 3: Reproduce the Error & Access logs
Close SpringConnect and QuickBooks. Open QuickBooks again, then run SpringConnect and reproduce the problem. If this is an issue from a sync (not an import), sync the one list that has the issue, not “All”
If you have enabled debug logging you, you can pull this up using the “View Log” option after clicking on the SpringAhead logo in SpringConnect. Send the generated log files to Support.
If you did not enable SpringConnect Debug logging we’ll need the QuickBooks desktop qbsdklog.txt file - this should be located in c:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks\qbsdklog.txt file
If you can't find the file, or directory do a Start - Run - "c:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks" <enter> and then open qbsdklog.txt.
Step 4: Disable Verbose Logging
Be sure to turn off verbose logging as soon as you've gathered the information you need. Verbose logging slows down QuickBooks considerably and the log files can grow extremely large.
Use the following setting to restore the file to the original info:
How do I fix the error 80040405 "qbxml components have not been installed" when syncing?
This error message is generated by QuickBooks and suggests that the QuickBooks installation was either incomplete or has been corrupted.
- Close SpringConnect
- Close QuickBooks
- Open the Control Panel on your computer
- Select Add or Remove Programs or Uninstall a program
- Select the QuickBooks program
- Click Change/Remove or Uninstall/Change
- Select Repair when prompted
- Try syncing again once the QuickBooks file has been repaired
Note: This might also be caused by a bad MSXML installation. Verify that you have the latest version of that installed as well.
Note: If you use QuickBooks Online (QBOE), make sure you installed the QuickBooks Connector Installer: Download
How do I fix the error 80040408 "could not start QuickBooks" when syncing?
There are two typical reasons for this error.
- You have the wrong QuickBooks file open vs. what SpringConnect expects. Verify this in SpringConnect by clicking Options, then Settings and looking at the company data file name in the Accounting session.
- If you are running Windows Vista, this error is typically related to User Account Controls. Follow these steps to change the user account controls:
- Click the Microsoft Start button
- Click Control Panel
- Click User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain)
- Click User Accounts
- Select Turn User Account Control On
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
- Windows will require a reboot
This should resolve the connectivity issue between SpringConnect and QuickBooks.
How do I fix the error 8004042a when syncing?
This error is generally given when trying to use QuickBooks Online Edition (QBOE).
If you do not use QBOE, you may have mistakenly enabled it in SpringConnect:
- Run SpringConnect, and click on Options, then Settings
- Uncheck QBOE
- Select your QuickBooks company file by clicking the "..." button next to Data File
- Click OK to save the new settings
- Then try using SpringConnect again
If you do use QuickBooks Online Edition:
- Download the QBOE Connector: HERE
- Non-Vista users: Install the QBOE Connector
- Vista users: Install the QBOE Connector by right-clicking on the installation file and selecting "Run as Administrator"
- If you are using a 64-bit computer (uncommon), install MSXML6_X64
- Open SpringConnect
- Vista users: Open SpringConnect by right-clicking the file and selecting "Run as Administrator"
If it still doesn't work, try rebooting your computer.
How do I fix the error "Unable to rename User/Item/Account/Employee/Vendor/Customer 'X' - name 'Y' is already being used" when syncing?
Since you have a name entered in QuickBooks twice (perhaps one as an old employee and one as a new vendor), SpringAhead has created two users. When syncing, only one can have the final name. During the sync, SpringAhead is trying to rename the new user to the name of the user already in use.
Note: These instructions also work when converting a contractor to an employee. Follow the instructions below with the persons reversed (vendor is employee, employee is vendor).
Ideally, you want the old name in SpringAhead (with the historical data) to now be connected to the new name. To do this, follow these steps:
- Make sure the new name is named what you want ("first name", "middle name", "last name" fields). Make note of this name (final name)
- Deactivate the old name, and rename it something unique (add Old or E to the last name, e.g. Alan Adler Old)
- Deactivate the new name (without any historical data) and rename it something unique (add Old or E to the last name). This new user most likely has not been set up so it won't have a login name. If you are not sure, run a Time by Employee report to see which user is used (de-activate the one that has not been used)
- Rename the old name (with the historical data) to be exactly like the final name from the first step
- Go to the Settings, and click on Reset Data under Functions on the left
- Select User in the Reset External ID drop-down menu, and click Continue
- Select the old user in the name drop-down menu and click Reset External ID
- Repeat the previous step for the new user (Note: Inactive data is sorted to the bottom)
- Run SpringConnect and synchronize your data again. The error message should go away, and the one active user should have the historical data and be connected to the name you want
How do I fix the error 12057 when syncing?
If you are receiving an error 12057 indicating the certificate is blocked or denied, follow these instructions on how to rectify the error:
- Open Control Panel on your computer
- Click on Network and Internet
- Click on Network and Sharing Center
- On the lower left-hand corner, under See Also, click on Internet Options. A window will pop up
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Scroll down to the Security section and uncheck Check for server certificate revocation*
- Click Apply, then click OK
You should now be able to sync without encountering this error again.
How do I fix the error 80040423 "the version of qbXML that was requested is not supported or is unknown" when syncing?
This error is generally given by older versions of QuickBooks (2005 and earlier), QuickBooks Online Edition (QBOE), or QuickBooks CA and UK (Versions 2007 and earlier).
These versions require a special version of SpringConnect.
For QuickBooks Online Edition, do the following:
- Download and install the QBOE Connector: HERE
- Restart QuickBooks and SpringConnect, and try again
For QuickBooks (Versions 2005 and earlier), CA or UK (Versions 2007 and earlier), do the following:
- Make sure you have the latest patches to QuickBooks
- In QuickBooks, use the Help, Update QuickBooks menu
- Download and install the correct SpringConnect: HERE
- Restart QuickBooks and SpringConnect
- For CA and UK versions, skip to the next section as it only applies to QuickBooks Version 2005 and earlier
If you still get the issue and have QuickBooks Version 2005 and earlier, install QBXMLRP2 HERE and/or restart your computer and try again.
For QuickBooks CA or UK (Versions 2007 and earlier), also do the following:
- Open the file SpringConnect.ini in Notepad
- For Windows OS prior to Vista, this will be in the SpringConnect installation folder: "C:\Program Files\SpringConnect"
- For Windows Vista, this will be in "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\SpringConnect" where USERNAME is your Windows login name
- Under "[Settings]", add a new line and enter "Country=CA" for Canada or "Country=UK" for United Kingdom
- Save and close SpringConnect
- Restart QuickBooks and SpringConnect and try again
Reason: Older versions of QuickBooks require special handling with SpringConnect.
How do I fix the error "Unable to write to settings file VTSync.ini"?
Note: SpringConnect was previously called VTSync. The file folders and naming conventions could be named either SpringConnect or VTSync depending on when the application was installed.
This was an issue with the newest release of the SpringConnect syncing engine, and it only affected a minority of our users. Here are some instructions on how to troubleshoot the issue:
- Locate the VTSync (or SpringConnect) folder on your computer (generally C:\Program Files\VTSync)
- Right-click the folder and click Properties
- On the Security tab, click your user from the list and click Edit
- Now check off all the Allow boxes
- Click Apply to save this settings
You should now be able to sync and import files using SpringConnect without hiccups.