To enter an expense, a submitter will need to specify what type of expense it is, such as mileage or airfare. These need to be created and are generally mapped to the expense accounts in your accounting system’s chart of accounts. Using this article, you will:
- Enable expenses
- Create expense types
- Understand Advanced Settings
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click on Settings, then click on My Company.
- Scroll down to the Expense section and check the box for Enable.
- Click Save and Close.
Creating Expense Types
- Click on Settings, then click on Expense Types on the left-hand menu.
- Click Add Expense Type.
- Type in the Name of the expense (e.g. Mileage).
- Toggle Yes for Allow Amount if the employee will enter an amount for the expense OR
- Toggle Yes for Allow Rate if the amount is based on a rate (e.g. enter rate here for mileage reimbursements).
- Please Note: Description, Payment Memo, Start Date and End Date are optional fields. Click Here.
- You can map this expense over to your accounting system by selecting an Expense Account or Item (QuickBooks only).
- Click Create.
Understanding Advanced Settings
The below settings are advanced settings and not required fields:
- By default, SpringAhead will make expenses reimbursable and non-billable.
- Default means the flag will be set as selected but the expense submitter will have the option of changing the flag on the expense report.
- Force means the flag will be set as selected, but the expense submitter will NOT have the option of changing the flag on the expense report.
- In the Invoicing heading, NRB JE stands for non-reimbursable journal entries. This only needs to be used if you’re importing expenses as journal entries.